| JET Adventures 19 - Western Weekend |
| Sunday, September 11, 2005 |
After about 7 weeks of trying to allow Okinawan culture to borgify us, the craving for bad old Western habits kicked in and a few of us decided to have a day of doing as much non-Japanese stuff as possible.
After a MacDonald's breakfast we got on the monorail to Mainplace, an American shopping mall in Naha. The shops were hilariously too expensive for the likes of us - Prada this and Chanel that - but in Toys R Us I found this craze for soft toys that are dressed up in animal suits, kind of like Where The Wild Things Are, but with smiley farmyard animals wearing tiger skins. I'm sorry there are no photos, I was laughing too much.
Then we went to watch Charlie And The Chocolate Factory with huge red Japanese subtitles. Disappointingly, cinemas here are exactly the same as UK ones except that they sell beer and you can only get salty popcorn. I was expecting levitating seats with service waitresses who'd bring you popcorn noodles and miso icecream.
Mister Donut's amazing donuts followed, then I got home to find the postman waiting (at 7.30pm?? Wow this country is civilised!) with my Amazon order of horror DVDs and Kafka novels, yay. |
posted by Alice @ 7:21 pm  |
|
|
|