ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

Following the rabbit to Okinawa and beyond

 
The
Many
Faces
Of
Alice
JET Adventures 31 - Christmas, mulled wine parties and shopping
Saturday, December 17, 2005


What better way to advertise your faux French clothes shop than with a picture of some big root vegetables?

This week I have mostly been celebrating Christmas. Lessons have been about making Christmas cards and wearing furry antlers. For the younger students I was doing a lesson where they had to write letters to Santa. Most of the students ask for 1) money and 2) a girlfriend/boyfriend, but the best one was from this student who had crossed out the bit that says "I have been a very good boy" and written "I have been a very bad boy" and in the bit where you have to list the things you've done to deserve the presents had written "I have broken the school" 3 times. I wrote "Fight the system!" on it and gave him extra lollies.

Last night there was a mulled wine party which featured ridiculously cheap red wine, awful Japanese cheese, and even worse Japanese J-Pop Christmas music. The mulled wine was good because it's actually really cold here now and likely to get worse until February. I mean, it's not colder than London but the wind is bitter and none of the buildings have central heating. We all sit around wearing 6 jumpers and big hats, but I have now discovered how to make my air conditioning unit give me life-preserving warmth after shouting at it for half an hour.

My plans for spending Christmas in my underwear eating KFC have been scuppered and now I'm being dragged off to spend Christmas "on-base" to have a proper turkey dinner. I'm quite disappointed. I went to one of the military bases (the largest one in Japan) this week as part of my Japanese class Christmas party. It's actually quite disgusting how much land the base occupies, and most of it isn't used for anything - while the rest of Okinawa is squashed up, the bases have miles and miles of greenery and sea views and Burger Kings. Crucially it also has a huge shopping centre where you can buy pretty much anything from Playstations to tampons. My friend had just finished stocking up his trolley with $200 worth of games when he found out he wouldn't be able to buy anything as they don't take yen, only dollars.



Louise decided it was Christmas today and opened all her presents. (She's also HAND MADE 22 cards for her teachers and bought 22 INDIVIDUAL carefully chosen presents for them, I am sickened. My teachers might get a bag of milky ways to share, if they're lucky.) We went out and celebrated by going duty free shopping at the extremely posh shopping mall and almost got thrown out of Chanel when she started wildly hyper-ventilating over lipgloss.
posted by Alice @ 11:06 pm  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
A L I C E

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Japan Stuff
Cool Stuff
Watch with your eyes
Comics for your face
© 2006 ADVENTURES IN WONDERLANDTemplate shamelessly ripped and modified from Isnaini Dot Com