ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

Following the rabbit to Okinawa and beyond

 
The
Many
Faces
Of
Alice
Scorn!
Friday, October 28, 2005


This made me laugh. There is also Horn! chocolate and some variety of Orion beer that might be fried chicken flavour. It has "fu-ri-e-du chi-ke-n" written on it, above a ripped-off-KFC photo of some fried chicken on the can.

Foods that are good in Okinawa:
* Noodles, fish, rice, sushi, sashimi, fried chicken, spare ribs, obviously.
* Beef (that world-famous Kobe beef actually comes from Okinawa).
* Spam (this place is the 2nd largest consumer of Spam, after America, and the supermarkets have whole aisles devoted to it and Spam related products).
* Some weird cross between a giant apple and a pear called a Nashi.
* Snacks and instant food (aka pot noodles, steamed doughballs filled with pizza, cheese or random meat, riceballs wrapped in seaweed, pizza).
* Mexican food (I have no idea why).
* Chocolate milk (food of the gods).

Foods that are really really terrible in Okinawa:
* Cheese (my god, I paid a fortune for some Philadelphia yesterday only to find out that it is, like all the cheese here, tasteless and plasticky like Kraft processed cheese)
* Bread (it all tastes of cake. I've given up buying inoccuous looking baguettes because they are all stuffed with either jam or custard).
* Milk (what on earth do they do to it to make it smell and taste curdled even when it's months before the best before date?)
* Sausages, bacon, and other essential fry-up ingredients (despite having a multitude of pigs, it all tastes like spam).

Foods that I would exchange my own body parts for because you can't get them here for love nor money:
* Roast dinners
* Pies
* English breakfasts
* Yorkshire pudding
* Potatoes

Weird foods that I've tried:
* Pig ears - crunchy.
* Blowfish - it looked and tasted like blood.
* Goya, the Okinawan famous bitter melon - tastes like battery acid but it's unbelievably good for you so I'm trying to learn to like it.
* Other strange things that the teachers like to feed me.

I found Toblerone this week! And I might have even found pesto. Well, I decoded the Japanese as saying "basil pasta sauce" and it's green. Dear god, please don't let it be jam in disguise.
posted by Alice @ 5:16 pm  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
A L I C E

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Japan Stuff
Cool Stuff
Watch with your eyes
Comics for your face
© 2006 ADVENTURES IN WONDERLANDTemplate shamelessly ripped and modified from Isnaini Dot Com