ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

Following the rabbit to Okinawa and beyond

 
The
Many
Faces
Of
Alice
JET Adventures 48 - End of Year Party
Monday, June 19, 2006
A few weeks ago I was interviewed for some magazine run by some girl from a different JET prefecture. She wanted to know what it was like being in Okinawa and crucially if all the hype about non-stop naked beach parties was true. Being quite far away from a beach (well, one that isn't overrun with marines anyway), I haven't been to many of these; last weekend was my 5th one since I've been here. It was for the JETs who are leaving next month and they'd rented a couple of beach houses up north. And it was the most rubbish party in the world, ever. Part of the problem was definitely the music (the worst kind of hiphop, for those who want to know). Another factor was the virulent mosquitoes who have eaten my legs. But the worst part was having to spend a weekend with so many other JETs. I know that sounds awful, but honestly the selection process on JET is a bit odd. Apart from a few shining stars, the other JETs I have met can be split into two groups: those who are socially retarded, and those who are super-super-super-enthusiastic. About everything. They're the ones who wake you up at 5am to announce that everyone has to go skinny dipping now right now because it's going to be super-mega-wonderful. I know I sound like Captain Anti-Fun, but trust me, if you met these people, you'd want to rip their eyeballs out too.

Things are looking up though. The rainy season might actually be over because summer has appeared as if by magic - blue skies, hot hazy sunshine, and the summer holidays only a month away! I am very excited. I am also very excited about flying to Miyako island on Thursday to see my good friend Julia and to go to the Miyako rock festival. I was gutted I didn't get placed on Miyako because by all accounts it rules all the Okinawan islands. Firstly, there are no marines or marine bases. Secondly, it is apparently just like Jamaica.
posted by Alice @ 7:51 pm  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
A L I C E

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Japan Stuff
Cool Stuff
Watch with your eyes
Comics for your face
© 2006 ADVENTURES IN WONDERLANDTemplate shamelessly ripped and modified from Isnaini Dot Com