|
| JET Adventures 49 - Miyako |
| Tuesday, June 27, 2006 |
Hooray for crazy Okinawan public holidays! Friday was "peace day", so Louise and I took the 40 minute flight to Miyako island for 4 nights of action-packed, fun-filled adventure. That's right! There are NO photos! My camera and I had a bit of a misunderstanding, where I learned a valuable lesson on "charging the battery". When Lou gives me a copy of hers I'll post some.
---------------------------UPDATE--------------------------------------- Look! Here they are!

This was taken at Janine's BBQ birthday - she's the one with the beads. Also featuring Julia and her faux yakuza boyfriend Shin, pulling his classic "say cheese" face.

Wearing a towel over your head is highly fashionable in the haute couture mecca that is Okinawa. Incidentally girls, maternity wear is this season's must-have, especially if you're 12-14 years old.

The crowd have their arms (and the obligatory fans) in the air because Orange Range have their arms in the air. When Orange Range put their arms down, the crowd put their arms down. I bet even Derren Brown couldn't pull off this level of mass-hypnosis.
This is one of my favourite photos ever - it doesn't look like it, but the temperature is in the mid-30s and notably, it is NOT raining. Hat-wearing umbrella woman, I salute you.

---------------------------/UPDATE---------------------------------------
This is what was in Miyako.
Janine's birthday. She's Australian, so we had a barbeque on the beach. I met her husband for the first time who owned two PSPs, a DS and a Gameboy Advance, but didn't play games. I rolled my eyes.
Miyako rock festival \m/ It was awesome. It was a bizarre event though - oolong tea and little kids instead of sex and drugs. They made an announcement at the start saying there was to be no moshing (moshingu) and no stage diving (dibingu) and everyone obeyed. It was all about Orange Range because they're huge in Japan AND from Okinawa. They're a bit like the Japanese version of Take That. And after a few beers it made perfect sense to elbow our way to the front to jump up and down and squeal at the lead guitarist, Naoto.
The beach. If you look at pictures of Okinawa on the internet or in the holiday brochures, all the ones of beautiful beaches are most likely taken from Miyako. We went snorkelling and there were fish everywhere! They kept eyeballing me in a weird way. I saw a giant clam and a scary poisonous looking sea snake, but the only thing that bit me was the coral, which ravaged my knees.
Julia's apartment. This is where we were staying. Julia's Canadian and a killer hostess with a gorgeous apartment and a pretty good DVD collection. She fed us Canadian maple syrup, New Zealand ice cream, and all manner of hippy teas.
Yeah, Miyako is most definitely my favourite bit of Okinawa. It's beautiful and laidback and has good restaurants and bars. If only the reggae bar we'd been to had actually played reggae music, I'm sure I could have pretended I was actually Jamaican. |
posted by Alice @ 7:17 pm  |
|
|
|
|
| A L I C E |
|

|
| Previous Post |
|
| Archives |
|
| Links |
Japan Stuff
Cool Stuff
Watch with your eyes
Comics for your face
|
|