ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

Following the rabbit to Okinawa and beyond

 
The
Many
Faces
Of
Alice
JET Adventures 51 - Anniversary
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
Yeah! It's been a whole year since I came to Japan! It's gone zoomy zoomy whoosh fast; I imagine tomorrow I'll wake up and it'll be 2007 and I'll be in a blind panic about coming back to the UK.

The last couple of weeks have been a bit sad because of the mass exodus of my friends leaving Okinawa. One of my closest friends here Jennie left on Saturday - she's gone back to Vancouver, which coincidentally enough is where I'll be in just over two weeks time.

This is Jennie and my Japanese teacher, Aminchu at Jennie's leaving party:


This time last year I was only planning on staying in Okinawa for one year, with some vague hopes to learn a bit of Japanese and do some Aikido. The brutality of the games industry had knocked me sideways a bit, so perhaps the main reason for me coming was to do some soul searching and remember which way up was. I'm still abysmally rubbish at Japanese and Aikido, but I feel a lot happier. Exploring Okinawa and seeing bits of mainland Japan have been the highlights so far, and I'm starting to get a clearer picture of what I actually want to do when I blow this joint. (What? No, sorry, that's classified information at the moment!)

This year's goals include: improving my kanji reading so I can actually read this critically acclaimed manga series (20th Century Boy, for those who care), taking my Aikido test so that I'm only uber-n00ber-girl instead of uber-uber-n00ber-girl, Hong Kong, Hokkaido, and Bali, cutting all my hair off (actually, that's this week's homework assignment set by Aminchu), and evolving so I can shoot laser beams from my eyes.

But for now, it's the summer holidays and although school isn't out, it's definitely easier to skive off to the beach.
posted by Alice @ 12:51 pm  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
A L I C E

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Japan Stuff
Cool Stuff
Watch with your eyes
Comics for your face
© 2006 ADVENTURES IN WONDERLANDTemplate shamelessly ripped and modified from Isnaini Dot Com