|
| JET Adventures 53 - Birthdays and Summer Holidays |
| Thursday, August 10, 2006 |
The epic event known as my birthday was this week. It coincided with Okinawa's Day Of The Dead where all the spirits walk around having a big party. I had a big stick ready in case any of them tried to get their effervescent hands on my cake. Actually I wasn't expecting any cake because I didn't actually tell anyone here it was my birthday - I was hoping to spend it mostly asleep. Sadly this plan didn't really work out as a load of people with ridiculous memories descended on my doorstep bearing presents, vodka and cake. In fact, there were two cakes. And a block of cheese the size of my head (thanks mum!), and some marmite, and some chocolate, and some soup (the soup was because my teachers think I'm one of those sickly children out of Little Women or Heidi or something after my pneumonia escapade). Do you see the pattern here or am I just paranoid that everyone wants me to weigh the same as a whale on a bus? Like Fred said, he should have sent me beef dripping. I would have taken photos to show you but my fingers are now too fat to press the buttons on my camera.
I was going to write about how all the new JETs have arrived and provide a witty and entertaining character assassination of each of them, replete with photoshopped caricatures and amusing anecdotes, but unfortunately a typhoon stopped their plane from arriving so the welcome parties have been postponed until next week. So instead, here are some observations about Okinawa that I have made:
1. My students are fascinated by blu-tack. "Alice, is this chewing gum?" "Yes, why don't you try some?" "Hmmm, it tastes like wall".
2. If you are a man, it is perfectly acceptable to drink yourself silly by 2pm and then lie facedown next to your car leaving the door open.
3. If you are a girl, it is compulsory to shave your arms. If you are a boy, it is compulsory to shave your eyebrows.
4. The most romantic place to go on a date is bowling or to a Pachinko parlour.
5. When I surveyed my students to find out what kind of international music they liked, the top 3 answers I got where: Avril Lavigne, The Backstreet Boys, and Hilary Duff. I'm planning to do every single future lesson on one of these three until they learn to develop better music taste.
6. The top three things my Japanese girl friends like about England are: Sherlock Holmes, Beatrix Potter, and David Beckham.
Tune in in two weeks for more amazing insights! This time on Canadians and their native home of Canadia! I promise to include full video footage of me gorging myself on as much non-Japanese food as I can fit into my mouth. |
posted by Alice @ 2:26 pm  |
|
|
|
|
| A L I C E |
|

|
| Previous Post |
|
| Archives |
|
| Links |
Japan Stuff
Cool Stuff
Watch with your eyes
Comics for your face
|
|