|
| JET Adventures 55 - Music, dancing, and beach parties |
| Sunday, September 10, 2006 |
So term started this week and for me it's been a series of endless variations on the classic theme of "what did you do on your summer holidays?" I feel like I really should apologise to the students for inflicting such tragic predictable lessons on them. Oh well, I'll make it up to them next week when I hit them with my new and exciting music lessons. Before summer I asked them what kind of music they wanted to listen to and they "repaid" my kindness with gems such as the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, and Hilary Duff.
I get to see more of their appalling taste in music next weekend because it's the school festival. Unfortunately this means I have to go to school on Saturday and Sunday to watch each class perform for 10 minutes on stage. On the upside, I get to watch the hiphop version of MJ's Thriller.
Here is my review of the Japanese music scene: J-pop (samey), J-RnB (godawful boybandy), J-rock (shouty) and J-hiphop (hit and mostly missy). When I heard there was going to be a beach party on one of Okinawa's smaller islands that was going to have actual real live dance music I jumped around the room screaming "yes!" It was just south of the airport, which meant you could see the planes coming in looking like huge UFOs. For a while it was pretty low key - we were the only foreigners there amongst a multitude of kids, grannies, and families eating picnics and setting up tents to hide from the rain, but by 11pm the rain had stopped, the kids had gone to bed, and Ryukyu Underground was just starting his set - he's an ex-JET turned DJ - and when we went to talk to him afterwards he was running away to see if his wife had given birth yet. I spotted one of my students at the front, dancing like a maniac. We freaked out because we were both so drunk - we were both going to leave when the banging techno started at 4am, but he was going to come back at 6 to see the sunrise because he's hardcore. Predictably, the morning after was messy - but it was much worse for one of my friends, Reiko - she's a 21 year old Japanese girl and was having her first EVER hangover, poor lass. |
posted by Alice @ 2:15 pm  |
|
|
|
|
| A L I C E |
|

|
| Previous Post |
|
| Archives |
|
| Links |
Japan Stuff
Cool Stuff
Watch with your eyes
Comics for your face
|
|