ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

Following the rabbit to Okinawa and beyond

 
The
Many
Faces
Of
Alice
JET Adventures 59 - Naha festival and jazz
Sunday, October 15, 2006
Even though summer is officially over, the festivals are still going strong. Last weekend was the biggest one in Okinawa - the Naha festival. It's most famous for the tug-of-war that runs for the whole length of the main tourist street in Okinawa's capital city. The US marines tend to hijack it though and turn it into a big macho event so instead me, Reiko and Amul decided to skip it, sit in the park, eat candyfloss and drink beer.



This is Reiko. Isn't she upsettingly photogenic? She's only 21 but can speak English better than most of my English teachers at school. Amul and I spend a lot of time teaching her useful English expressions like "y'alright mate?" and "shut it you slag" in an attempt to destroy her American accent.



This is Amul. He's from London but he supports Liverpool so we usually meet up to watch my team annilhate his team. In his hands are the two things Amul loves the most, his phone and beer. He's hoping to get into the music business in Tokyo as a record producer and DJs under the name Amul Nitrate.

Even though loads of the military were at the tug-of-war, there were still tonnes cruising the park looking for Japanese girlfriends (for the girls, it's cool to have a Western boyfriend because all Westerners are cool (even the ones who look like rats); for the boys, it's cool to have a Japanese girlfriend because they'll cook, clean, and do anything you tell them). I kind of forgot they could understand English and nearly got myself into a whole load of trouble by shouting things like "look! that one looks like a rat!" a bit too loudly. I should have followed the advice on Reiko's t-shirt:



I saw some cool live jazz yesterday. It was my friend's husband's band and they were playing in the smallest venue I've ever seen. There are 10 people in the band so it was a tight squeeze not even considering the other two bands playing plus the 50 or so people who turned up to listen. It was awesome though, especially the trombone player who had to be a bit creative in order to play in such a tiny space. It was so good I even let myself get dragged off to karaoke afterwards with the band, where I showed them my amazing rendition of Eye Of The Tiger.
posted by Alice @ 6:54 pm  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
A L I C E

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Japan Stuff
Cool Stuff
Watch with your eyes
Comics for your face
© 2006 ADVENTURES IN WONDERLANDTemplate shamelessly ripped and modified from Isnaini Dot Com