|
| JET Adventures 62 - Talent Show |
| Thursday, November 16, 2006 |
I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "Wow, Alice hasn't updated her blog in ever such a long time, so probably she's either dead, or her life has been so jampacked with fun-filled adventures that her next blog entry will be an epic account akin to an exciting and well-written autobiographical novella, worthy of the bestsellers list", aren't you?
CLICK HERE TO REVEAL THE TRUTH!
There are three main reasons why I have not felt inclined to fill you in on my antics: 1. There is no more Lost until February and my life is devoid of colour and meaning. I think I am developing that David Beckham-esque compulsive obsessive disorder where I have to keep checking the date, just in case it's February, you know, now.
2. My discovery of the most genius online game ever created. The genius lies in the fact that you can only play it for a limited amount of time each day, like a morphine drip on a timer (Eastern Standard time). Attendez EA! This is what fun is!
3. My DVD rental place has every episode of 24 and I've finally given up fighting and succumbed to the urge. It's 180 yen (about 90p) for a DVD with 2 episodes that I can keep for a week. I can rent up to 10 DVDs at a time. YOU DO THE MATHS! (Hint: x = a whole load of Kiefer "Calorie Mate" Sutherland).
I have also discovered a new bar close to my house where they love Blondie almost as much as I do, which has wall to wall vinyl records. Masa-san the owner plays any ones that you pick out and bring to him. It's like how jukeboxes should work, especially because no one else bothers to look through the records. Last time I went I found the Pixies, Procol Harum, and the Orb's little fluffy clouds.
This week has been the mid-year conference though. This means all the JETs from Okinawa (about 120 manic little bunnies who have been starved of civilized company for too long) fly in and have 3 days of fascinating and educational "workshops". I have sifted through the chaff to bring you the finest wheaty nuggets:
* (From "How to team-teach effectively") - "Always talk to the teacher you're team-teaching with. Try to do this before the lesson starts, but if that's not possible, then try to do it at the beginning of the class, before the students fall asleep."
* (From "How to use the textbook effectively") - "Don't bother using the textbook as it will not contain anything remotely interesting. Instead, do what I do and teach whatever you like."
* (From "Classroom management and discipline") - "If your students are asleep, wake them up! If your students are being noisy and won't listen to you, use 'verbal interference'. This means, tell them to be quiet."
Of course, it's all about the parties. Wednesday night was the Talent Show, which was attended by idiots and shaping up to be even worse than my moon viewing party - I turned up and the JET I despise the most (yes, I do have a list), was on stage, playing his guitar, and attempting to sing country music. Happily, after 8 long island iced teas, it magically transformed into a great party! Some of the "talent" was actually passable, the highlights being Ben, who took off his pants without taking off his jeans, and Phil, who did an "interpretive dance" of Terminator 2. Lou finally got it together with the man of her dreams (about time too - she's been stalking him for almost a year!) and I finally found a DDR machine (I nearly wept with joy), which I played for an hour in victory after humiliating some Americans at pool (I passed my amazing flukiness off as pure skill, natch). |
posted by Alice @ 9:55 pm  |
|
|
|
|
| A L I C E |
|

|
| Previous Post |
|
| Archives |
|
| Links |
Japan Stuff
Cool Stuff
Watch with your eyes
Comics for your face
|
|