ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

Following the rabbit to Okinawa and beyond

 
The
Many
Faces
Of
Alice
JET Adventures 63 - Waterfalls of Death
Monday, November 27, 2006
My time has been filled with the usual sort of nonsense: the mid-year conference parties and watching ridiculous amounts of 24 and America's Next Top Model and seeing live music and making my friend Reiko cry every time I see her (Me: "Oh no! Reiko! Why are you crying?" Reiko: "I always cry when I'm surprised") and Japanese lessons and Aikido and yamming Okinawa soba at 5.30am with Bush-voting Americans and yamming too much caramel popcorn at the cinema and the subsequent sugar rush fallout and hectic and fruitless Christmas shopping.

So by Sunday I was feeling pretty tired and stressed out and was intending to spend the day lying on my sofa in my pyjamas catching virtual monkeys and ignoring the washing-up, when Louise invited me to go the beach for a nice chilled day: "nothing too strenuous, bring your book - then we'll go and eat pizza", she said. The lies! The treachery! Why didn't I suspect that 'the beach' actually meant a long drive to a perilous mountain and that 'nothing too strenuous' meant hiking up it at military speed armed to the teeth with beachwear while wearing flipflops?



This is Jen, also cruelly conned, demonstrating what we were going to do to Louise once we'd gotten to the top of the mountain:



This is Jamie, her of the bizarro films, American, attention-deficit, undeniably a genius, but also hyperactive to the extreme:



And... this is what was at the top of the mountain. Note the absence of pizza.



There are no nice group photos of us at the falls because a) whilst risking my life and hanging from my fingernails on a particularly jagged piece of rock I dropped my camera and it decided it wasn't having any more nonsense until I got back home and gave it Lemsip and a cold compress and b) by the time we'd gotten to the top we were so bedraggled, dripping with sweat, and half-dead that when Jamie got out her camera we threatened to throw her over the edge until she put it away.

I hate to admit it, but actually it was good fun. I'd been pretty stroppy the past couple of weeks for various reasons and there's nothing like a good dose of terror, physical pain and insane American ravings to put things in perspective.
posted by Alice @ 9:38 pm  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
A L I C E

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Japan Stuff
Cool Stuff
Watch with your eyes
Comics for your face
© 2006 ADVENTURES IN WONDERLANDTemplate shamelessly ripped and modified from Isnaini Dot Com